Like all African print clothing, African print dresses are extremely versatile as they can easily be dressed up or down. We believe that African dresses can be worn to any occasion, with just some changes in your footwear and accessories. Read on to find out our tips!
1) African print fashion dresses can easily be worn barelegged, with tights or leggings. It all depends on the weather, the type of event you wear it to and how comfortable you feel.
Kitenge customers proudly wearing their African print flare dresses with and without leggings or tights
2) The best way to look smart in your African print dress is to wear either heels or smart flats such as pumps. If you prefer a casual look then simply wear flip-flops or a pair of African beaded leather sandals to match.
These bright blue, suede heels go perfectly with this kitenge pencil dress and really stand out!
Kitenge’s handmade leather beaded sandals look great with any outfit and are extremely comfortable to wear!
3) If you decide to go bolder by wearing an African dress then you should definitely go all out in the jewellery department too! We recommend wearing chunky, statement African beaded jewellery including earrings, necklaces and bracelets to compliment the colours of your chosen print.
A Kitenge customer wearing bold statement earrings with her African print flare dress (left) and Kitenge’s gold, beaded twist necklace (right)
4) Don’t forget to accessorise with a vibrant clutch or shoulder bag that stands out against the African print fabric. The type of bag depends on the occasion and should also match your shoe colour if possible.
Kitenge models holding an African beaded black clutch bag (left) and a burgundy shoulder bag (right)
5) Why not wear a matching African print hairband, hair clip or headwrap for a full African inspired look?
Kitenge’s founder, Sian, wearing an African print hairband to match her ankara flare dress
6) And finally, if you plan to wear your African dress to a wedding or social event you may like to wrap a plain coloured shawl around your shoulders that compliments the main print colour in case it cools down in the evening.
We hope you have found these styling tips useful. Do not be scared to go all out with your accessories. The bolder the better! We would love to see how you have styled your kitenge dress. Please do keep in touch by sending us your photos.
Check out our African dresses online to view our full collection of colourful, African wax prints. You can also be the first to receive our styling tips, latest blog articles, product news and offers by signing up to receive our monthly newsletter below:
Follow us on Instagram
Sign up to get 10% off your first order!